10 October 2005

Lunchin with Loofrin

I had a nice lunch with my new friend, loofrin, whose blog is Full Throttle & an Empty Gas Tank.  Over beer & wings, we got to know each other a bit and shared our common affinity for the New York Mets (kindred fans are a rarity in central Indiana).  

We also explored some of the common points in our respective histories.  It’s like doing the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, only, as loofrin puts it, in the Missouri Synod, it’s more like 2 degrees.  It’s almost spooky how it works.  For instance, he mentioned Dr. Clyburn Duder from Austin, and that was a blast from the past for me, given that Dr. Duder was both a classmate of my father’s at Springfield (class of ’66), and also was an English professor at River Forest the last year I was there.  I never had Dr. Duder for any classes, but I sometimes joined the English department that year when they took their usual coffee / cigarette break down in the basement of Kohn Hall.  It was real convenient for me, since I lived up on 2nd Lindemann that year.  Even though we were mostly just shootin’ the breeze there, Duder was usually pretty good about asking me how my dad was doing.

You certainly should check out loofrin’s blog, since he is hosting Lutheran Carnival VIII, sort of the recent Greatest Hits of the Lutheran blogosphere.  I think he posted it in the wee hours this morning, and I must admit that I’m still working my way through it.  Good stuff so far.  I was surprised to find loofrin had even submitted my meager work and posted it—even though they’re certainly not Greatest Hits caliber (He may be the only person that knows I’m out here).  I’m still working on figuring this blogging stuff out.  Scott Stiegemeyer submitted some useful stuff on the art of blogging, and I’m working my way through it all, hoping to glean some pointers along the way.  You will note, that I actually have real-live links in this posting, my very first ones!  I guess that’s progress.  Loofrin explained how to do that at lunch today.  I thank him for his patience.

1 Comments:

At October 11, 2005 9:28 PM, Blogger loofrin said...

no prob. glad i could help. welcome to the blogworld.

nice job on the links. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home