31 October 2005

Cue the Vikings

I keep receiving spam from an individual who seems to think that if the contention that the lawsuit brought against the synodical president and first vice-president is useless and divisive is repeated often enough, it becomes necessarily so.   I don’t know the sender, and certainly never made a request to receive e-mail from this sender.  Unsolicited e-mail from an unknown source — I spell that with an “S”, a “P”, an  “A”, and an “M”.

I read the first few missives sent my way since they seemed to pertain to synodical affairs, and because I was willing to give the unknown sender the benefit of the doubt—but (cue the Vikings) it became clear that it was spam, spam, spam…of a Lutheran variety.  I didn’t expect to see Lutheran spam, but I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised.  It certainly seems a cost-effective, though disreputable, means for disseminating one’s message.

Although I really have no means of verifying it, my gut feeling is that this individual is not working alone, but is acting as an operative for one of the political factions active in our synod.  I would be curious to know how this individual happened to come upon a list with my e-mail address on it.  It’s a relatively new address and wasn’t published in the last Lutheran Annual.   I have, however, updated my e-mail address at the synodical website’s section for updating one’s profile for the Lutheran Annual, and I would like to think that whatever I post there isn’t made available to Lutheran spammers (or Anglican, Zoroastrian, or any other stripe of spammer).  

Like most other people, I don’t hold spammers in very high esteem.  And any individual or entity that has to resort to spamming to get its point across isn’t likely to convince me that it sits on the ethical high ground.

1 Comments:

At November 01, 2005 11:28 AM, Blogger loofrin said...

See that guy over there in the brown trench coat, dark glasses, and the fedora? Yah, he's watchin you. Beware of black Suburbans... and low flying helicopters. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home